[Histonet] RE: embedding

Jeffrey Robinson JRobinson <@t> pathology-associates.com
Wed Jan 21 10:57:19 CST 2015

I have also noticed a big difference in the brand of cassette being used.  The old Tissue-Tek style with the large holes do not seem to bleed or leak much at all but the General Data ones we use "bleed" a lot.  I have tried different methods with the General Data type but have yet to come up with a sure fire fix.  It could also be affected by the brand of mold-  I think most of ours are the Tissue-Tek metal ones so they are probably a better "fit" for the Tissue-Tek cassettes.

Jeff Robinson, HT, HTL, Senior Histotechnologist,
Sierra Pathology Lab, Clovis, CA.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Sanders, Jeanine (CDC/OID/NCEZID)
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 8:39 AM
To: Campbell, Tasha M.; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] RE: embedding

Honestly, the easiest thing I think is just don't overfill the base mold. A small amount in the bottom, then the tissue, then the cassette top and just top off enough paraffin to cover. Unless you accidentally slosh it as you are moving it to the cooling tray you will always have clean sides.

Jeanine H. Sanders
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Infectious Diseases Pathology Branch
404-639-3590
jqb7 <@t> cdc.gov