[Histonet] Cytology Workload

Douglas Porter doug.porter <@t> caplab.org
Thu Jan 15 13:11:58 CST 2015

CLIA and CAP require that Cytotechs only read 100 Paps per day.  It is the responsibility of the second workplace to ensure that the Cytotech doesn't cross the 100 Pap barrier.  Because you are required to ensure compliance, they should report to you how many Paps they screened before they arrive at your lab.  How you arrive at that number is up to you.  They may not what to share their workload for obvious reasons, but that's too bad.  If they want the work, they should provide you with something that you can use in the event your CAP or other inspector asks for the proof.  Get the documentation!!

Douglas A. Porter, HT (ASCP)
Pathologist Assistant
IT Coordinator

Sparrow / CAP-Lab, PLC
2508 South Cedar Street
Lansing, MI 48910-3138

517-372-5520 (phone)
517-372-5540 (fax)

doug.porter <@t> caplab.org

www.caplab.org

The information contained in this message may be privileged and/or confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, forwarding or capture of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by return e-mail and delete this and all copies. Thank-you.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of rmweber113 <@t> comcast.net
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2015 1:16 PM
To: histonet
Subject: [Histonet] Cytology Workload

Hi, I have a question about cytology workload. If you have a cytology tech that works at another facility reading slides and then comes to your lab at night to read slides, do they have to provide you with a log that they keep at their day job as to what they read during that day? In other words do I have to get in writing what they read that dayat their other job or do I just take their word for it when they fill out my workload log.
And is it illegal to ask for such a log from them?

Thank you,

Marilynn Weber H.T.(ASCP)QIHC
Coastal Pathology Consulting Services LLC
732 814-1170
fax 267 722-8308