[Histonet] small biopsy protocol

Terri Braud tbraud <@t> holyredeemer.com
Fri Jan 9 14:10:28 CST 2015

Hi Akemi –

For what it is worth.  We used to cut small GI biopsies at 2 levels, 4 sections per level, per slide for H&E, plus one extra unstained between levels.  We changed last year to 3 levels, 2 sections per level, all mounted on the same slide,  plus one extra unstained with 2 sections from between levels 2 and 3 on gastrics for possible H.Pylori stain.  For me, this is better because we are getting fewer requests for recuts.  I Hope this helps

Terri

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)

Anatomic Pathology Supervisor

Holy Redeemer Hospital Laboratory

1648 Huntingdon Pike

Meadowbrook, PA 19046

Ph: 215-938-3676

Fax: 215-938-3874

Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 06:07:05 -0800

From: Eileen Akemi Allison <akemiat3377 <@t> gmail.com>

Subject: [Histonet] Levels for Gastic and Esophogeal Bx's

Good morning Histoland:

Happy Friday!  I believe this question was asked last year, but I would like to revisit this again. I have worked in a variety of laboratories in my career, both small and large. Most of my experience was in Oregon with large hospital laboratories and University institutions. Back then, we cut (6) levels on all our bx’s, and picked-up (2) sections on each level.  My current facility is cutting (3) levels and picking up (1) section on each level.

I would like to ask what everyone else is doing.  The reason I am asking is because our pathology director is requesting a change in our protocol to cut only (2) levels and (1) section at each level.

Sincerely,

Akemi Allison BS, HT/HTL (ASCP)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This E-Mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which
it was sent. It may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential,
and the use or disclosure of such information may also be restricted under applicable
federal and state law. If you received this communication in error, please do not
distribute any part of it or retain any copies, and delete the original E-Mail.
Please notify the sender of any error by E-Mail.

Thank you for your cooperation.