[Histonet] Cryostat troublshooting. CM3050

Hans B Snyder hans <@t> histologistics.com
Wed Jan 7 18:18:54 CST 2015

Hello Patrick,

We have this same cryostat except it's the CM 3050S.  Ours also has
this issue usually after it's been running for many months with a
defrost.  The typical cause of your problem is the cylinder on which
the block holder is attached has ice crystals or is "frozen".  I feel
the cause of this is because the glass was left open too long while
cutting.  This allowed moister from the room to condense on the
cylinder and subsequently causes a stop go motion.

 Since I am in charge of all histology equipment maintenance, my
solution is to turn off the cryostat, take the microtome out of the
cavity and let it dry overnight.  Then in the morning, I physically
dry the microtome.  Using cryostat oil, oil all the moving parts
including the cylinder, then wipe off excess.  Before putting the
microtome back into the cavity, the cavity itself must also be
thoroughly dried.  The final cool down process usually takes about 1-2
hours.

Feel free to email any specific questions.

Hope this helps.
Hans B Snyder
Histologistics
60 Prescott Street