[Histonet] HELP! Need some old fashioned histology advice

Jay Lundgren jaylundgren <@t> gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 16:26:58 CST 2015

     I don't know if the slides were subbed or not, but they looked
improvised.  The point is, at some point the sections are going to have to
be mounted for visualisation, right?  Someone or something is going to look
at the section under magnification?

     If you mount them on glass *before* staining, the whole problem of
batching becomes one of improvising a giant stain rack and giant staining
line.  Don't forget, you need giant cover slips, giant slide folders, and
giant postdocs.
I know that lab glassware is custom ordered every day.  Sounds expensive
and time consuming to set up, but it beats fiddling around with free
floating tissue anyday, IMHO.

    I don't know what the Ab penetration is going to be like on a 100um
section, because they weren't using IHC at Genentech, they were doing in
vitro DNA hybridization on the slides.  I'm assuming the section thickness
is necessary because the PI wants to follow axonal pathways and see the
patterns of staining?  Sounds like a fun project.  If you need more help
later you can PM me.

                                               Sincerely,

                                                      Jay A. Lundgren,
M.S., HTL (ASCP)