[Histonet] HELP! Need some old fashioned histology advice

Mejia, Mary Mary.Mejia <@t> ucsf.edu
Mon Jan 5 22:27:21 CST 2015

OK Jay, I'm going to have to make this drink of your - thanks for the recipe.
How thick were these whole rabbit mounted sections?  Were the giant glass
slides gelatin subbed?

I was thinking of mounting a couple of these large 100um brain sections & see
how good penetration is for the antibodies. I was also thinking of adding 1% DMSO
in all the washes - don't about the antibodies though.  Any thoughts on the latter?
Any other ideas?

Best
Maria

________________________________
From: Jay Lundgren [jaylundgren <@t> gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2015 9:58 AM
To: Maria Mejia
Cc: histonet; Mejia, Mary
Subject: Re: [Histonet] HELP! Need some old fashioned histology advice

I can help with the old fashioned advice:

  *   1 scant teaspoon simple syrup
  *   2 dashes Angostura Bitters, plus more to taste
  *   1 half dollar–sized slice orange peel, including pith
  *   2 ounces good-quality rye or bourbon
  *   1 maraschino cherry

     As for the Histology, is there any reason you cannot mount the sections onto glass slides?  When I was working at Genentech they were cutting frozen sections through whole rabbits and mounting the sections on (giant) glass slides.  I think that rolling the tissue up, inserting it, and then removing it from a glass tube would destroy the tissue.

                                      Sincerely,

                                            Jay A. Lundgren, M.S., HTL (ASCP)