And other crazy stuff. RE: [Histonet] cutting honey bees

Roberta Horner rjr6 <@t> psu.edu
Tue Jan 6 14:54:10 CST 2015

The oddest things I cut were the honey bee and yellow jacket stingers.  I've done plant stamen, reptiles, fish and I believe another insect.  I usually tell the students that are working on a research project to give me a sample they don't care about so I can see if I can do what they want.

But I had oddities that I didn't have to section like during hunting season a hunter killed a deer and there was a mass on the trachea that he wanted tested to make sure the deer was okay to eat.  I got the sample and when I tried to gross it I found a very hard shiny silver object.  I told the pathologist whose case it was that the mass was from a bullet did he still want histo done. No.

The other interesting one was the egg shell.
The conversation went something like this.
Pathologist:  Can you section this egg shell
Me: No it's too hard.
P: Can't you decal it
M: That's not going to work.
P: Did you try.
M: No
P: Don't you think you should try first.
M: Okay fine but it is no going to work.

Put a piece of eggshell (made of calcium) into some decal solution (that removes calcium) and watch the egg shell bubble and disappear.  I did get to tell the pathologist "I told you so"

Roberta Horner
Penn State University
Animal Diagnostic Lab