[Histonet] gelatin

Andrew Prior a.prior <@t> tissueregenix.com
Wed Feb 25 04:36:55 CST 2015

Hi Yak-Nam,

Have you thought of using Picrosirius Red staining? We use it to assess changes in the collagen fibres.
Under polarised light, the collagen fibres exhibit birefringence (red/orange or green depending on fibre size) and the birefringence is lost/ becomes fainter as the collagen becomes degraded. You can boil spare tissue samples for different lengths of time to act as control/reference blocks for comparison.
Hope that helps.

Andrew Prior
Histologist
Tissue Regenix Group
Heslington, York
YO10 5NY
E-mail: a.prior <@t> tissueregenix.com<mailto:a.prior <@t> tissueregenix.com>
Website:  www.tissueregenix.com<http://www.tissueregenix.com/>

Message: 5

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 07:30:19 -0800

From: Yak-Nam Wang <ynwang <@t> u.washington.edu<mailto:ynwang <@t> u.washington.edu>>

Subject: Re: [Histonet] gelatin

To: John Kiernan <jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca<mailto:jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca>>

Cc: "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu<mailto:histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>"

                <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu<mailto:histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>>

                <CAOKiGw+65OpJ_z9dto84GOEPrZ4QTVRfRtPTXzmN56otmBEtxw <@t> mail.gmail.com<mailto:CAOKiGw+65OpJ_z9dto84GOEPrZ4QTVRfRtPTXzmN56otmBEtxw <@t> mail.gmail.com>>

Thank you for your e-mail.

Apologies for not explaining "treated tissue". We treat the tissue with high intensity focused ultrasound. It can raise the temperature of tissue to boiling in a localized area (millimeter areas). I could use a biochemical assay for collagen and gelatin if we treat a large area, but with single lesions I was hoping I could visualize this. In some treated areas we are almost resulting in liquefaction of the tissue. I am interested to see if we are turning the collagen to gelatin in these areas and what part of the lesion this is happening.

Thank you for your thoughts

Yak-Nam