[Histonet] paraffin sectioning-dry tissue? - long response - image analysis related

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Thu Feb 5 11:48:54 CST 2015

Lucie

You are not overthinking this at all if you are utilizing your sections for any image analysis applications.  You need to be able to standardize as much of the histology process as possible.  There are so many other parameters that can cause section thickness to fluctuate.  Such as the sharpness of your knife, how fast you turn the hand wheel.  Blowing on the block is not acceptable in our lab that will create thicker sections since you are warming up the block.   Great care is taken to standardize what we do, from soaking blocks to how we collect the sections to placement on the slide, and how often we move our knife blade.  We routinely soak all of our blocks but we keep in mind so many other factors when we are providing histology for image analysis.  It starts at the beginning with fixation, it all has to be standardized, our goal is to decrease the potential for variability.  That is on our minds at every step through the histology process.

The other thing to consider is how well the algorithm functions - you need to determine the limits of the algorithm and when it will stop functioning properly, which is usually due to staining issues (over or under staining or inconsistent staining), section thickness and overall section and stain quality which is so important.  As a part of algorithm validation we test for these parameters we want to understand where we lose functionality, accuracy and precision of the algorithm.  So we look at different section thicknesses and how that impacts analysis, we look at over and under staining parameters to see how that affects the algorithm, etc.

Just my two cents.

Liz

Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592
Boulder, CO 80308
(303) 682-3949 office
(303) 682-9060 fax
(303) 881-0763 cell
liz <@t> premierlab.com
www.premierlab.com

March 10, 2014 is Histotechnology Professionals Day

Ship to Address:

Premier Laboratory, LLC
1567 Skyway Drive, Unit E
Longmont, CO 80504