[Histonet] paraffin sectioning-dry tissue?

James Watson JWatson <@t> gnf.org
Thu Feb 5 09:35:23 CST 2015

We use a 5% glycerin in denatured alcohol for our 100% alcohol on our tissue processor for routine animal tissues, this reduces the over dehydration of the animal tissue and greatly reduces the time required to soak the blocks.  Warning, if processing fat or cell pellets do not use this, we switch the containers to straight 100% reagent alcohol for them.  For fat we have a longer processing schedule and for cell pellets we have a short processing cycle.

James Watson HT  ASCP
GNF  Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation
Scientific Technical Leader II, Histology
Tel    858-332-4647
Fax   858-812-1915
jwatson <@t> gnf.org

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Caroline Miller
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2015 6:41 AM
To: Geoff
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] paraffin sectioning-dry tissue?

Yes, exactly what Mike and Geoff said. All mouse tissue, especially liver, can be really dry and needs a 'soak'. I have left them for an hour before now but don't leave it for longer than 4 hours though because it can start to swell and de-process!

You will still only get a few non-chattery sections so be gentle. Thinner sections also help too (3-4.5). Plus low um polishing after you trim

Good luck! It is weird at first but you will get used to it!

Caroline

Sent from my iPhone