[Histonet] paraffin sectioning-dry tissue?

Emily Brown talulahgosh <@t> gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 05:23:05 CST 2015

Hello all!

I just started sectioning mouse liver in paraffin and the tissue is very
dry.  I know it's not supposed to have water due to the processing, but the
weird thing is that one tech's solution is to put a wet kimwipe on the
block for a while.
It seems to me that there is a larger processing issue if this is
happening, am I correct? And why add water when you've already dehydrated
it?
Unfortunately, we do not have the set up to embed them ourselves, so we
have to send them to a histology lab.  They were sectioning for us, but
they are backlogged, so my boss wants me to do it.  Therefore, I can't tell
you how they were processed, but I think usually the histology lab manages
to get good sections.
Is putting a wet kimwipe (using distilled water) the best way to get rid of
chatter that's only in the tissue? The surrounding paraffin sections
excellent.
This may have been answered already, but a very quick google search didn't
help.  My googlefu is probably erratic as it's still early.

Emily

"By bitching and bitching and bitching, they could exhaust the drama of
their own horror stories. Grow bored. Only then could they accept a new
story for their lives. Move forward."

-Chuck Palahniuk, "Haunted"