[Histonet] RE: Know Error

koellingr <@t> comcast.net koellingr <@t> comcast.net
Tue Feb 3 14:19:36 CST 2015

I am not disagreeing nor am I sticking up for the company and not sure I'd even agree with the company but I think there is much more to this, from what little I know of them, than just mixing up two specimens at a physicians office.  I believe their point of view of the company is besides patient ID errors that in making a cancer diagnosis, that the cancer material came EXCLUSIVELY from that one patient and is not a contaminant from another real cancer patient.  Think floaters upon cutting, think leftover friable material from an embedding well that ends up in a cassette because embedder didn't clean forceps.  You PCR up a V600E BRAF mutation from a melanoma slide and tube and how do you know 100% it is not DNA from a different patient who really needs the therapeutic but the first patient doesn't.  Is the mutation really representative of the first patient or just a contaminant from the second?  Again, I truly wonder about this being useful but you have to admit, there is more than only patient mis-identification but there are floaters and contaminations that must be paid attention to.  Just my opinion.
Ray
Seattle, WA

----- Original Message -----

From: "Thomas S. Webster" <twebster <@t> CRH.org>
To: "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 11:52:13 AM
Subject: [Histonet] RE: Know Error

Most problems are with the physician offices, not the lab, because they have bad practices like pre-labeling specimens. How does this fix that problem? You could have a buccal specimen and biopsy that match up fine but are on the wrong patient.

Seems like collecting a buccal smear just adds even more variables and opportunities for error. Spend that time properly labeling the ACTUAL specimen(s) and problem solved.

There is at least one lab that is offering Know Error testing on abnormal pap tests believe it or not. I didn't realize an abnormal pap test lead immediately to a hysterectomy......

http://manhattanlabs.com/for-doctors/mypap/

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This e-mail message, including all attachments, is for the sole use of the
information. You may NOT use, disclose, copy or disseminate this
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
sender by reply e-mail immediately.  Please destroy all copies of the
original message and all attachments. Your cooperation is greatly
appreciated.
Columbus Regional Hospital
2400 East 17th Street