[Histonet] Mouse Brain Processing Help

Elizabeth Chlipala liz at premierlab.com
Wed Dec 2 12:10:40 CST 2015

Laura

They may not be processed enough.  We process brain samples for both mouse and rat 2 mm thick sections (cut on a brain matrix) on a 45 minute cycle.  If they are processing half of the mouse brain (these samples can be 4 -5 microns thick).  I don't think the cycle is long enough, that is why the blocks are swelling up when they are trimmed and placed on ice.  A well processed brain block should not swell up when it is placed on ice.  The separation of the brain tissue from the paraffin on the water bath is also a sign that the samples are under processed.

Here is the cycle we use for brain samples - you may need to adjust this a bit for your samples but I think if you process a bit longer they might have better success with sectioning.  Brain can be tricky.  We have the ability to add an extra 100%, xylene, and paraffin step to this cycle if necessary.  For mouse tissue (unless its skin, bone and brain) our cycle is normally 20 minutes per station,  but we have found that brain does need to be processed a bit longer.

50% alcohol - 45 minutes
70% alcohol - 45 minutes
80% alcohol - 45 minutes
95% alcohol - 45 minutes