[Histonet] Histonet Digest, Vol 141, Issue 5 unexpected AP findings

Steve McClain SteveM at mcclainlab.com
Wed Aug 5 13:11:39 CDT 2015

We have pathologists call nearly all unexpected findings.

Experience has shown that some findings we initially viewed as "insignificant" later proved to be problematic.

We document calls to and from physicians (slide reviews also) in the reporting database record and usually in the report with an addendum report where treatment options are discussed.

Pre-emptive communication is preferable to   cases falling through the cracks. For example, yesterday I called the surgeon about a toe amputation with fungal osteomyelitis, not because it needed treatment, because it probably does not require systemic antifungals.

Significant diseases ( melanoma, lymphoma, leukemia, metastasis, Merkel cell carcinoma, sarcoma) to surgeons whom I do not know are also called. A) it may be useful to steer/ refer the patient toward surgeon where appropriate; B) it is useful to communicate "lethal diagnoses" redundantly even in the age of electronic records. C) additional clinical data can be obtained when needed. D) direct communication shortens the time until action/treatment is scheduled.

 When the patient calls requesting their own report or wants to discuss w pathologist, the surgeons are alerted, more as a courtesy than a requirement. Those calls are documented in an addendum report.

These are common examples, I am sure there are others.

Steve A. McClain, MD