[Histonet] Movat Stain Ferric Chloride Solution Color?

Jerry Ricks rosenfeldtek <@t> hotmail.com
Thu Apr 9 14:30:38 CDT 2015

I do a lot of Movat Pentachrome stains.   Every once in a while something goes wrong!

I just made a solution of Ferric Chloride  as follows:  Dissolve 12.4 grams Ferric Chloride Hexahydrate in 500 ml dH2O.  THen add 5.0 ml of concentrated Hydrochloric acid.

What is troubling me is that the solution usually starts of brownish, then turns clear yellow after I add the HCl.  This time is stayed brownish and didn't turn yellow.

Seems like 15 years ago we did a Movat where someone hadn't added the HCL to the solution, it staed brown, and the Weigarts part of the stain didn't work.

Any ideas?  I'm sure I added the HCl.

Jerry L Ricks
Research Scientist
University of Washington