[Histonet] Kidney Stone Histology?

Bernice Frederick b-frederick <@t> northwestern.edu
Mon Apr 6 08:19:53 CDT 2015

Do you all see the picture of the stone on the NSH facebook page? It looks like an easter egg!

Bernice Frederick HTL (ASCP)
Senior Research Tech
Pathology Core Facility
Robert. H. Lurie Cancer Center
Northwestern University
710 N Fairbanks Court
Olson 8-421
Chicago,IL 60611
312-503-3723
b-frederick <@t> northwestern.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Mike Andrews
Sent: Saturday, April 04, 2015 10:54 PM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Kidney Stone Histology?

What Everyone Else Wrote.

They're stone (apatite; the kind I myself get) or hard crystals (uric acid). They're very unfriendly to a microtome blade. Getting a thin section of an apatite stone would require petrological thin-section techniques, which won't be in the repertoire of the typical soft-tissue histo lab.
Think epoxy, abrasives, and time. Under a stereo scope, they can be
amazing: covered with sharp corners and edges, and all the corners and edges have more corners and edges on them. For a big staghorn stone, a diamond rock saw might be required. Uric acid crystals aren't particularly better. But histo techniques pretty much don't apply.

--
73 de

Mike Andrews W5EGO