[Histonet] Question about Formic acid decal and TRAP stain

koellingr <@t> comcast.net koellingr <@t> comcast.net
Thu Apr 2 12:16:13 CDT 2015

Hi Debra,
My experience differs from Elizabeth and others.  Indeed have made thousands of mouse bone preparations with formic acid decaled sections.  Here is an article that didn't copy paste so well:

RANK is the intrinsic hematopoietic cell surface

receptor that controls osteoclastogenesis and

regulation of bone mass and calcium metabolism

Ji Li*, Ildiko Sarosi

† , Xiao-Qiang Yan † , Sean Morony † , Casey Capparelli † , Hong-Lin Tan †

, Susan McCabe*, Robin Elliott*,

Sheila Scully

 Gwyneth Van † , Stephen Kaufman † , Shao-Chieh Juan † , Yu Sun † , John Tarpley † , Laura Martin †

, Kathleen Christensen

 James McCabe † , Paul Kostenuik † , Hailing Hsu*, Frederick Fletcher † , Colin R. Dunstan †

, David L. Lacey

, and William J. Boyle*
Departments of *Cell Biology and

Pathology, Amgen Inc., One Amgen Center Drive, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320

Edited by David V. Goeddel, Tularik, Inc., South San Francisco, CA, and approved December 20, 1999 (received for review September 30, 1999)

PNAS

u February 15, 2000 u vol. 97 u no. 4 u

1571

Is in PNAS and while the methods are not here in this article, look in the reference section to materials and methods used and see beautiful pictures of TRAP from formic acid decaled bones.  I did them for years after that.  Complete fixation and gentle formic acid (or immunocal) and indeed this can be done.

Ray (retired in Lake Forest Park, WA, golf and science education outreach for K-12 busy)