[Histonet] Dragon Voice Recognition software

Keyser Gerald T GKeyser <@t> uwhealth.org
Fri Sep 26 16:23:31 CDT 2014

Voice to text cannot cope with doctors mumbling into recorders. Even the best VRS only hits about 95% of the regular dictionary; which is very good. But, a 5% error rate is wildly unacceptable in a clinical environment.

Another parallel is trying to apply handwriting recognition software to a physician penmanship. Would totally make the software divide by zero and have a fit.

gerry

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Joelle Weaver
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2014 3:59 PM
To: Jay Lundgren; Houston, Ronald
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Dragon Voice Recognition software

The work that can be done in histology-pathology is endless! I know that in past positions that sometimes transcriptionists have felt threatened by voice recognition dictation and software when it was suggested. I don't really blame them for these feelings, but it never turned out the way they worried it might.

Machines or computer software never completely replace people, they don't "think", make decisions or have judgment. The people just have to function at a higher level or in an alternate way since the rudimentary processes for the people are reduced .

I just set up Dragon dictation for the microscopic for the pathologists, but it will be in Orchard Pathology, so could not help with the interface to your system Ronnie. But it did not replace the information management function or its oversight, just changed the tasks that needed to be performed somewhat, and increased overall efficiency.

Joelle Weaver MAOM, HTL (ASCP) QIHC