[Histonet] Paraffin for Infiltration and Embedding & Validation

Ian R Bernard ibernard <@t> uab.edu
Thu Sep 11 07:17:23 CDT 2014

Does anyone use the same paraffin for both tissue processing  or infiltration and embedding?  We do with quality results; but the company is no longer making that brand. Our brand before was a Fisher brand Paraplast Tissue Embedding Medium that worked well for both infiltration and embedding.  Would like other suggestions.

Per research, the other two alternative proposed and similar brands to what we have are:  distributed by VWR and Fisher- a Leica brand. Any thoughts about them?  There is a difference in price but quality is first then price.

If we find a brand that is made by the same manufacturer as well as chemical composition and temp range, we feel a validation is not necessary.  However, if not, we will do a validation.

Thus, any suggestions on a method or template form concerning validation of a new paraffin for tissue processing and embedding.

The more people respond the more references I have to make an informed decision as to choice and eventually quality.

V/r
Ian R. Bernard, MSHA, HT (ASCP) HTL (Pend-2014)
USAF, MSgt (Retired)
Air Force Red Cross Volunteer Histologist (since 1 June)
Anatomic Patology Technical Supervisor (effective 22 Sep)
Anatomic Pathology, 10th Medical Group
210-687-7540 Cell
ian.bernard <@t> comcast.net<mailto:ian.bernard <@t> comcast.net>