[Histonet] Non-cert. histo classes

Jennifer MacDonald JMacDonald <@t> mtsac.edu
Tue Sep 2 13:14:12 CDT 2014

I agree with Tim.  Any additional skills in histology will make them more
marketable.  EM and paraffin microtomy are very similar in principle.

As of yet an AA/A is not required to take the HT (ASCP) certification
exam.  Route 1 states "graduation from a NAACLS accredited program" and
there are still some NAACLS accredited programs that offer a certificate
and do not require an AA or AS.  The NSH appealed to NAACLS to change one
of the Standards to require all NAACLS HT programs to either award an
AA/AS degree or require students to have one before earning the
certificate.  The changes to the standard went out for public comment at
the beginning of the summer.  The NAACLS BOD meeting is September 18-19.
The Board will vote then to either recommend or not recommend the changes
to the standard.  If it is approved by the BOD there will be a transition
period to allow those programs that do not offer or require an AA/AS to
meet the standard.This does not affect those that are already certified,
nor does it change the ASCP requirements.

Jennifer

From:   "Morken, Timothy" <Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org>
To:     "'Jon Krupp'" <jkrupp <@t> deltacollege.edu>,
"histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Date:   09/02/2014 10:38 AM
Subject:        RE: [Histonet] Non-cert. histo classes
Sent by:        histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu

Jon,

It is not a bad idea. Ideally a person going into the field would have a
good formal education in the field. However, 99.9% of the people working
in the field did not go through a formal program, but learned on the job.
Therefore, a person who was exposed to ANY formal education in paraffin
histotechnology (processing, cutting, staining, special stains) would be
well ahead- OJT is highly variable in quality as you might guess. A lot of
what is learned in biological EM is transferable to paraffin - fixation,
processing, even sectioning principles are the same. The difference is
really in medium and staining chemicals, and of course, the microscope
used.

There are obviously a lot more jobs in histology than in EM. Biotech does
not necessarily require certification and it is not needed as a regulatory
requirement of their work (and a combined EM/histotech is more valuable;
throw in some DNA/RNA work (ISH, FISH, PCR and you have a supertech!).
Hospitals and other medical labs usually do not require certification
(like or not!) for entry level (or even higher levels in many cases) but
if they want you to have it they will usually have a time period that they
require you to get it - "certification eligible" or "certification within
one year" or something like that. Many of our histotechs came from the
UCSF research labs where they learned a bit of paraffin sectioning and
then applied in our lab. All have done well and all have gone on to get
certified.

Acquiring certification requires working one year under a board certified
pathologist, and taking a test. It takes some study, but that is the route
most people take.

The most important part is that certification now requires an AA degree at
the minimum with certain levels of biology and chemistry courses. Those at
Delta would meet that standard pretty easily if they are in the EM program
anyway.

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Histology, Electron Microscopy and Neuromuscular Special
Studies
UC San Francisco Medical Center
San Francisco, CA