[Histonet] Salary exempt/nonexempt status

Sebree Linda A LSebree <@t> uwhealth.org
Sat Oct 25 16:38:19 CDT 2014

I fought this very same battle having been salaried for many years and gradually working more and more OT.  I worked solely with hourly employees and was not a manager or supervisor.  Everyone I worked with accrued OT pay but I did not and I was usually working the most OT.  I contacted our state office of labor and workforce development and learned about the exempt/nonexempt statuses.  Upon bringing this information to both my institution's personnel department and eventually my manager, they reviewed my position description along with several other employees.  They resolved the issue by making me and some other people hourly with no cut in pay so now I still work some overtime but accrue OT pay.  I also received back pay from 2 years of overtime.

Maybe CA has a labor department that could help you as well.

Good luck,

Linda A. Sebree
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] on behalf of GMail [nguy0515 <@t> gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2014 3:16 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Salary exempt/nonexempt status

Can someone please help me, I've been losing sleep over this ever since moving to CA and working here.

If you are paid a salary but NOT a supervisor or manager are you considered exempt or nonexempt?

I was told by someone that if you are salary but not in a managerial position you are considered nonexempt and are entitled to earn OT.

I have tried searching the laws in CA and the only thing I could find is: 1. If you earn twice the wage of minimum wage you are exempt. 2.  If you are a type of professional (doctors and lawyers etc) or in a managerial position you are exempt

With that being said, I believe a lot of people in the U.S with other professions make twice the wage of #1, so does that mean they are all exempt?

Please help me answer this question!

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone