[Histonet] FW: Formalin use in grossing

Jay Lundgren jaylundgren <@t> gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 12:24:26 CDT 2014

Have you tried improvising a cover for the cassette bucket?  It cuts down
on fumes considerably.  You only get one chance to properly fix something,
so I always lean in the direction of more fixation, not less (within
reason, I know about the guidelines for HER2).
Or, get rid of formalin in your lab if it bothers you that much.  There are
acceptable substitutes out there.  You can supply the fixative to your derm
clinicians.  Problem totally solved.

               Sincerely,

                          Jay A. Lundgren, M.S., HTL (ASCP)