[Histonet] FW: Formalin use in grossing

Santiago, Albert Albert.Santiago <@t> uphs.upenn.edu
Fri Oct 17 15:21:52 CDT 2014

Hello again my fellow histonetters, I was hoping someone could give me their thoughts on this issue:
We receive Derm biopsy specimens in formalin containers. We gross the specimen and place the cassettes with the tissue in it in a tray with 10% formalin. Although we have grossing tables with exhaust vents,  I would like to minimize the formalin odors even more if possible. Therefore, I was thinking about replacing the 10% formalin in the buckets with either graded alcohol (50% or 70%) or water in the buckets before putting the cassettes in the processor.
I'm wondering if that would negatively affect the tissue, H&E staining or IHC staining.
Also, if I can make the change would I still be compliant with The Joint Commission and/or CAP?

As always, thank you for your feedback.

Albert Santiago, HT(ASCP)
Lab Manager
Penncutaneous Pathology Services