[Histonet] embedding of insects in historesin (Technovit 7100)

Dr.Harst <@t> gmx.net Dr.Harst <@t> gmx.net
Fri Nov 21 05:09:15 CST 2014

   Hallo,

   are  there  any experiences in embedding of insects in historesin (GMA
   or  Glycolmethacrylat  (Technovit 7100))? I have tried Technovit after
   fixing  in  Formaldehyd  with poor results. The specimen tends to fail
   out of the block. There is no connection between the cuticula  and the
   resin.  Therefore  it  is  not  possible, to stretch the ribbon on the
   surface  of water. And I believe there is some interaction between the
   chitin  and the resin which makes trouble. The chitin is brittle after
   embedding  in  resin.  I  have  tried different times in the embedding
   process, but without good results. Embedding single organs for example
   ovaries  is  without  any  difficulties  .  Obviously chitin makes the
   problem.

   Perhaps helps another fixing or some other pretreatment?

   Thanks for a little help !

   Jürgen