[Histonet] IHC general fixation

William J. O'Connor III b427297 <@t> aol.com
Wed Nov 12 11:55:35 CST 2014

I'm looking for input on the latest theories of duration of fixation for routine IHC.  In the past, it was thought that tissues should be removed from 10% NBF after a max of 72 hours,  and if not immediately processed, transferred to 70% ethanol until processed to retain antigenicity.  What is the current thinking/trends?  Over the last couple of years, I have heard that leaving tissues in 70% ethanol may be doing more harm than good, and it's NOT a good idea to leave them in alcohol for extended periods of time.  I would appreciate your input, or point me towards any new data.

Jackie O'