[Histonet] Digital Pathology/ Telepathology

Eric Sulkosky esulkosky <@t> gmail.com
Fri May 16 16:14:46 CDT 2014

Hello Histonetter's,

I hope this email finds you all well. I am currently working on a project regarding the general acceptance or non acceptance of Digital Pathology (DP)/ Telepathology within the workplace. I need your help to gather as much information as possible. The more information I receive the better, good or bad.

I would like to know what your thoughts/ opinions/ needs and concerns are regarding the general acceptance of DP into your daily workflow. All labs are welcome to comment (Hospital, Research, Government, Reference, Physician Office, Research and Veterinary) Pathology practices to include Histologists, Pathologists, Administration, Risk Management and Patient Safety departments. This discussion is open to the US and the International communities.

My areas of Interest are the following:
Research
Clinical
Peer Review
Consultation
Tumor Board
Cancer Registry
Do you currently utilize a DP/Telepathology system or plan to implement one in the near future? if so, what vendor and why?
What are the pro's and con's of the system or systems you are currently utilizing and in what setting?
Are you utilizing DP for image analysis? If so, what IHC, ISH, CISH/ SISH or FISH tests are you currently performing? Does you lab lab plan on adding additional tests?
If not, do you have any plans on implementing one in the near future? Why?
Does IVD or FDA clearance effect your decision in utilizing a DP system?
Do you consider DP/Telepathology as a helpful resource or hinderance on your workflow? Why?
What can be done to improve current DP systems in use?

What are the most important factors or benefits for you or your lab to utilize or not utilize in DP?
Image analysis
Workflow
Speed
Accuracy
Throughput
Reimbursement
Software
Digital App
LIS/EMR integration
Server vs. Web based
Validation
CAP/ Regulatory Agencies
Satellite labs
Frozen sections

What has been your past or present experiences with DP/Telepathology?
What medical value do you think DP/ Telepathology brings or does not bring to the pathology profession and why?
Is your lab resistant to change or to the adoption of emerging technologies ? If so, why?

Areas to think about:
How much time is spent by your lab pulling slides for send out, tumor board and research?
How much does your lab spend on send outs (Fedex, UPS, or DHL) annually?
What is the average TAT for consultations utilizing manual send outs for diagnosis?
What percent of slides are lost, misplaced or never returned to rightful institutions?

This post is open for discussion and all comments are welcome. Feel free to post your comments to the histonet or contact me offline.

Best regards,
Eric Sulkosky
esulkosky <@t> gmail.com