[Histonet] RE: IHC on animals

pruegg <@t> ihctech.net pruegg <@t> ihctech.net
Wed Mar 26 16:55:31 CDT 2014

Lester,

Probably not in most cases but it depends upon what the antibody is, whether
as a an antihuman ab it also cross reacts to the species you are interested
in and what detection reagents you are using.
For instance if you have determined a rabbit anti human antibody also cross
reacts in mouse tissue, you could use a detection such as for the Leica Bond
by leaving out the link (they call it the post primary but it is rabbit anti
mouse IgG to link mouse antibodies to the goat anti rabbit labeled polymer
second step), since your ab is rabbit it would link directly to the anti rab
labeled polymer and the anti mouse link which would bind non specifically to
the mouse endogenous Ig can be avoided.
You would have to do a lot of research to first determine if the anti human
rabbit antibody you want to use (it should not be made in a mouse) cross
reacts to mouse tissue.  The species you are wanting to label is also very
important, this system would only work for anti human rab abs that also
react in mouse, rat or any other species except rabbit and goat because
those are the species the detection is made in or against.
We have research versions of the Leica Bond instruments which allows us to
manipulate the instrument and detection for these purposes including
replacing the rab anti ms link with another link, I am not sure if the pure
clinical versions of the Bond allow this.
Cheers,
Patsy

Patsy Ruegg, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Ruegg IHC Consulting