[Histonet] Paraffin Effects on IHC

Manfre, Philip philip_manfre <@t> merck.com
Tue Mar 25 13:27:52 CDT 2014

Our lab is considering switching paraffin in our histology labs.  They are being evaluated with an emphasis on routine H&E staining.  The IHC lab has some concerns about the effects this may have on IHC staining.  We have noticed slight differences in staining intensity already, during some evaluation experiments.  Does anyone have opinions either way, positive or negative, on the following products?  Of particular emphasis are any effects on the staining intensity (which also could relate to the ease of deparaffinization of the sections), ability to stain evenly, or anything else you may feel is relevant.

1.       Fisher Scientific TissuePrep T-565

2.      Leica Paraplast

3.      ThermoScientific Histoplast

Thanks all for your expertise! It's great that we have such a global forum for our field.

Phil.

Philip Manfre, B.A., HT (ASCP)
Associate Principal Scientist
Merck Research Laboratories
WP45-251
PO Box 4
West Point, PA 19486

215-652-9750
215-993-0383 (fax)
philip_manfre <@t> merck.com<mailto:philip_manfre <@t> merck.com>

New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates Direct contact information
for affiliates is available at
for the use of the individual or entity named on this message. If you are
your system.