[Histonet] What is a level?

Bruce Gapinski BGapinski <@t> pathgroup.com
Mon Mar 17 16:19:40 CDT 2014

What is a level?
Levels, deepers, we all call it something different, but what exactly is a level?  I know it is all relative. One would never cut into a prostate needle biopsy the same way they'd cut into a skin.
But if we suppose are tissue sample is 3mm thick (don't laugh). How deeply would you cut when the pathologist asks for a level? I guess I'm talking to those of us with automated microtomes where we can set the trim to 10, 20, 30 microns. I started on a manual microtome where it's impossible to gauge this altogether.
So let's say I have a nicely processed ellipse of skin grossed 3mm thick.  The pathologist asks me for a level. If we assume I gave them a full face on the first slide, how much deeper should I go to get the level? 60-80 microns? Deeper? Less?
Your thoughts please,

Respectfully,
Bruce Gapinski HT (ASCP)

Important Notice: This e-mail is intended for the use of the person to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please destroy this message and contact the Security Officer at PathGroup, Inc immediately at 615-562-9255. Thank you