[Histonet] Re: Cornflaking

srishan <@t> mail.holyname.org srishan <@t> mail.holyname.org
Thu Mar 13 13:31:37 CDT 2014

We are all putting out what worked for us.  You should  try some of these
suggestions and see what works for you.  The suggestion for improving poor
dehydration was suggested by technical support  from Sakura.  Cornflaking
was irritating so many of our pathologist, we had to get technical support
from Sakura to see how this could be resolved.  In OUR hospital changing
the tape worked!!!  Good Luck.!!!

Mala

Nirmala Srishan
Holy Name Medical Center.

From:   joe joe <powderhound34 <@t> hotmail.com>
To:     Beth Cox <bethcoxx <@t> gmail.com>
Cc:     "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu"
Date:   03/13/2014 02:20 PM
Subject:        Re: [Histonet] Re: Cornflaking
Sent by:        histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu

Why doesn't someone call Kellogg's ?

> On Mar 13, 2014, at 12:10 PM, "Beth Cox" <bethcoxx <@t> gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Sharon & other Histonetters,
>
> Cornflaking is literally microscopic air trapped under the coverslip. It
> doesn't have anything to do with poor dehydration and trapped water.
Thus
> [...]
> 2.  Consider increasing the amount of xylene deposited on the slide for
> tape coverslippers.
> 3.  For glass coverslippers, consider increasing the xylene and
increasing
> or changing the mounting media.
>
> Cornflaking tends to happen more on slides/sections with rough
"topography"
> on the section (the more rough it is, the more nooks & crannies to trap
the
> air).  So anything that would give the section a more rough surface
would
> increase the tendency to cornflake; such as: section lifting. section
> thickness, even chatter in the sections.  Think about things that would
> affect the section - for example, are you using a different brand of
blade
> on the microtome?
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Beth Cox, HTL/SCT(ASCP)QIHC
>

> Message: 15
> Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 11:59:06 -0400
> From: srishan <@t> mail.holyname.org
> Subject: Re: [Histonet] RE: Cornflaking artifact
> To: "HERRINGTON, SHEILA" <SHEILA.HERRINGTON <@t> interiorhealth.ca>
> Cc: "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu"
>        <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>,    Sharon Scalise
>        <SSCALISE <@t> beaumont.edu>,
> histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu,
>        'Laurie Colbert' <lcolbert <@t> pathmdlabs.com>
> We had this problem several years ago.  We  were using the sakura tapes
> with the coverslipper.
> We did the following:
> Last three alcohols were changes frequently.
> Slides should be not dry when loading on coverslipper.
> If you could load two racks at a time, only load one.  By this way the
> slides in the second rack will not dry out.
> Finally, change the tapes from sakura to Mercedes Medical tapes.
> Mala
> Nirmala Srishan
> Holy Name Medical Center
>

> From:   "HERRINGTON, SHEILA" <SHEILA.HERRINGTON <@t> interiorhealth.ca>
> To:     'Laurie Colbert' <lcolbert <@t> pathmdlabs.com>, Sharon Scalise
> <SSCALISE <@t> beaumont.edu>, "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu"
> <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
> Date:   03/13/2014 11:43 AM
> Subject:        [Histonet] RE: Cornflaking artifact
> Sent by:        histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
>
> We also have recently started to see this artifact more than ever
before,
> and nothing in our process has changed.  We have tried everything to
> correct to no avail.  Wonder if it is possible to be a change in some
type
> of supply, either xylene or coverslipping film.  Something has changed
but
> am at a loss as to what.
>
> Sheila Herrington
> Technical Lead Histopathology and Immunohistochemistry
> Kelowna General Hospital
> 2268 Pandosy Street, Kelowna, B.C. V1Y 1T2

Holy Name Medical Center is ranked among the top hospitals in the nation
for patient care, clinical performance and workplace excellence.
Click here to learn more.

**** Warning: The information contained in this message is privileged and
CONFIDENTIAL and is intended only for the use of the addressee above. If
disclosure, copying, distribution, or taking of any action in reliance on
the content of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify the sender by replying to this
message, and then delete it from your system.