[Histonet] Re: Cornflaking

Beth Cox bethcoxx <@t> gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 13:09:41 CDT 2014

Sharon & other Histonetters,

Cornflaking is literally microscopic air trapped under the coverslip. It
doesn't have anything to do with poor dehydration and trapped water. Thus
it can be caused by partial drying out before the coverslipping.

The things you need to look at to eradicate the problem is:
1.  Keep the slides wet before coverslipping (obviously)
2.  Consider increasing the amount of xylene deposited on the slide for
tape coverslippers.
3.  For glass coverslippers, consider increasing the xylene and increasing
or changing the mounting media.

Cornflaking tends to happen more on slides/sections with rough "topography"
on the section (the more rough it is, the more nooks & crannies to trap the
air).  So anything that would give the section a more rough surface would
increase the tendency to cornflake; such as: section lifting. section
thickness, even chatter in the sections.  Think about things that would
affect the section - for example, are you using a different brand of blade
on the microtome?

Hope this helps,

Beth Cox, HTL/SCT(ASCP)QIHC

Message: 15