[Histonet] RE: Bone histotechniques

Wait, Trevor Jordan WaitT <@t> livemail.uthscsa.edu
Sat Mar 1 22:15:18 CST 2014

Thank you so much for the materials, they were definitely helpful for the EDTA and I very much appreciate that! Yes I have contacted my Researcher, unfortunately it is the weekend whenever I started to research for this protocol so my answers may not come til Monday morning. However, I do know that our species is human bones that have been donated from various orthopedic surgeries. As far as the exact type of bone (tibia, femur, etc.) I do not know the answer for they are just shavings or scraps that have been conserved from the surgeries that would otherwise be exposed of. I will also obtain that information as well.

Trevor Jordan Wait
University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio
Class of 2017 MD Candidate
Abilene Christian University Class of 2013 Graduate
B.S.  Biochemistry
________________________________
From: gayle callis <gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 1, 2014 10:13 AM
To: Wait, Trevor Jordan
Subject: Bone histotechniques

Trevor,

Please say what kind of bone you are working with, including species, femur, tibia, etc.   Attached is an excellent EDTA decalcification that was developed years ago by a bone expert/professor, and is published.  Once you give more bone details, then I can expound on how to do this.  You will probably get many replies.

Also, are you using automated tissue processing or have to do this by hand?   What are you to do for staining?  Immunohistochemistry?  Other staining only?

There are a lot of variables here that affect how you fix, etc for the bone you are working with.

Gayle Callis
HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)