[Histonet] Bone Histology Protocol

Wait, Trevor Jordan WaitT <@t> livemail.uthscsa.edu
Sat Mar 1 08:24:55 CST 2014

I'm terribly sorry, when you asked about species...my inclination was that you were curious which type of bone we were using (femur, humerus, tibia, etc. and cortical/cancellous) but we will be using human bone for this research project that has been donated from various orthopedic surgeries.

Trevor Jordan Wait
University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio
Class of 2017 MD Candidate
Abilene Christian University Class of 2013 Graduate
B.S.  Biochemistry

From: Jack Ratliff <ratliffjack <@t> hotmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 1, 2014 3:16 AM
To: Wait, Trevor Jordan
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; Jack Ratliff
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Bone Histology Protocol

Trevor,

May I ask first if there is a particular reason why you are wanting to decalcify? Have you ever considered resin/plastic embedding of non-decalcified bone? Also, what type/species of bone are you wanting to process?

My name is Jack Ratliff and I Chair the Hard Tissue Committee for the National Society for Histotechnology and as a professional histology organization and committee focusing on bone, biomaterials and medical device implants, we offer educational solutions to help those like yourself that are in search of information. This is accomplished through the presentation of workshops at the state, regional and national levels or even by providing free reference materials like processing manuals, books for purchase at non-member or member discounts, and free access to the archives of The Journal of Histotechnology to society members. If any of this interests you please check out the NSH website (www.nsh.org) where you can navigate around to view all of what the society has to offer, become a member and even connect with the Hard Tissue Committee.

One last thing I can tell you now is that there will be several bone workshops available at the NSH Symposium/Convention this August in Austin, TX. I will also be one of the speakers at this meeting giving a workshop on resin embedding techniques in support of bone, biomaterials and medical device implants.

Best Regards,

Jack