[Histonet] Eosin Leaching

Anita Buchiane abuchiane <@t> bmhvt.org
Fri Jun 20 08:40:18 CDT 2014

I'd advise checking your dehydration alcohols with a hydrometer.  This "bleeding" happened to me once and it turned out the alcohols after the Eosin were not graded.  My lab aide accidently used 100% only instead of 70%, 95% and then 100%.
Anita

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Adrienne Anderson
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2014 8:15 AM
To: Rathborne, Toni
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Eosin Leaching

We haven't changed our mounting medium, but I'll have to check on the alcohol levels. When I stain (we hand stain only - very small lab), I always make sure the alcohol is higher than the eosin, but I have a lab assistant now, and it's very possible I didn't make that a point. I'll try that.

Any more tips are welcome still - thank you all!

Adrienne

On Jun 20, 2014, at 8:11 AM, Rathborne, Toni <Toni.Rathborne <@t> rwjuh.edu> wrote:

> Is your alcohol level as high as or higher than the level of eosin in the containers? If there is residual eosin left at the upper portion of the slide, that could be causing the problem.

The information contained in, or attached to, this e-mail, may contain confidential information and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may be subject to legal privilege. If you have received this e-mail in error you should notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail, delete the message from your system and notify your system manager. Please do not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person. The views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused, directly or indirectly, by any virus transmitted in this email.