[Histonet] Re: VIP 1000 charcoal filters

gayle callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Thu Jun 19 10:01:36 CDT 2014

Years ago, we went to a pet store (Petco, Petsmart) or pet section in
Walmart, etc. for bags of bulk charcoal used in fish tank filters. I am sure
Amazon will have this too.   The charcoal pieces were very similar to what
was in prefilled VIP filters.   We emptied the  VIP charcoal containers
under a hood to avoid xylene fumes captured by charcoal then refilled with
the fish tank filter charcoal.  If you try this, note the level of charcoal
in the boxes for quantity needed.   It was actually cheaper than buying
prefilled boxes from the vendor's, and no shipping costs either.
Unfortunately, Sakura discontinued charcoal "milk carton"  packaging,
probably to avoid the fume problem during filter change - a safety factor.

This is somewhat of a stop gap measure but certainly worked for us.  The
more recent charcoal boxes are cardboard and sealed, if I remember
correctly, but careful opening and then resealing with duct tape might work.
However, first VIP charcoal filter containers were made of the same plastic
as the solvent containers and not easily damaged during a change.

Good luck

Gayle Callis

HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)