[Histonet] RE: GI biopsies and special stains

Barbara Tibbs barbara.tibbs <@t> accuratediagnosticlabs.com
Mon Jun 9 13:20:30 CDT 2014

I agree.  However, if you only receive a few GI biopsies a day that might me feasible.  95% of my work is GI biopsies.  I live in an area with a very large immigrant population which tends to have h.pylori infection (from what I've seen).  On any given day over 50% of the gastric biopsies could be h.pylori positive.  We see pre-ordering special stains as being efficient and saving the pathologist some time as well as increasing turnaround time.

Barbara S. Tibbs
Histology Supervisor
Accurate Diagnostic Labs
South Plainfield, NJ
barbara.tibbs <@t> accuratediagnosticlabs.com
732-839-3374
Cell: 610-809-6508

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu <histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu> on behalf of Bilger, Andrea <abilger <@t> wellspan.org>
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2014 4:50 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] GI biopsies and special stains

Tests need to be medically necessary, therefore, we do not auto order stains on all GI biopsies.  We wait until the H&E is screened and then order H Pylori by IHC on only those biopsies that need it.

Andrea Bilger, HTL
Team Leader, Histology
York Hospital
1001 S. George St.
York, Pa.  17405
(717) 851-5040

This e-mail has been scanned by Verizon Managed Email Content Service, using Skeptic(tm) technology powered by MessageLabs. For more information on Verizon's Managed Email  Content Service, visit http://www.verizonbusiness.com.