[Histonet] Processor malfunction - tissues not submerged ~ 9 hours

Grantham, Andrea L - (algranth) algranth <@t> email.arizona.edu
Fri Jun 6 10:27:42 CDT 2014

________Carla,
I don't think you can be a real histotech if something like this has never happened to you!
Have you figured out the cause of the malfunction?
There are recipes that you can find online and probably on HISTONET for solutions to soak your tissues in to rehydrate them. You might want to try a lesser strength alcohol and move up to 70% before processing. Good luck. Hopefully the tissues won't turn out to be too difficult to section. If they are soak them in a little water with glycerin to soften them before cutting.

Andi
96 days and counting until that retirement day!

________________________________
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] on behalf of Conway, Carla [cmconway <@t> usgs.gov]
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2014 7:15 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Processor malfunction - tissues not submerged ~ 9 hours

Hello everyone,

When it is working correctly, our tissue processor moves a basket of
tissues through 10 reagent containers. Last night it malfunctioned and
suspended the tissues above the 80% ethanol container. The tissues were
high and dry for ~ 9 hours (!) until I placed them into 70% ethanol this
morning. I will process them next week. Has this happened to anyone else
and what tissue artifacts can I expect?

Thanks very much,

Carla

Carla Conway