[Histonet] RE: Churukian Silver stain for Fungus

Troutman, Kenneth A Ashley.Troutman <@t> Vanderbilt.Edu
Fri Jun 6 09:41:00 CDT 2014

In my experience, periodic acid will not help you demonstrate histoplasma.

Chromic acid should be the preferred oxidizer if histoplasmosis is suspected.  I have had good results with periodic acid for pneumocystis and aspergillus, but not histoplasma.

Ashley Troutman BS, MBA, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Supervisor-Translational Pathology Shared Resource
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
S-1310 Medical Center North
1161 21st Avenue South
Nashville, TN  37232

Message: 11

Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 09:29:29 -0400

From: "Terri  Braud" <tbraud <@t> holyredeemer.com<mailto:tbraud <@t> holyredeemer.com>>

Subject: [Histonet] RE: Churukian Silver stain for Fungus

To: "Tony Henwood (SCHN)" <tony.henwood <@t> health.nsw.gov.au<mailto:tony.henwood <@t> health.nsw.gov.au>>,

                <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu<mailto:histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>>

                <BFBF7C6B9627B947B74CBEBD45CE368B1359E4A3 <@t> hrex-svr.holyredeemer.local<mailto:BFBF7C6B9627B947B74CBEBD45CE368B1359E4A3 <@t> hrex-svr.holyredeemer.local>>

I beg to differ.  I think you are confusing stains. I am not talking

about using a Periodic Acid Schiff's stain (PAS) to stain fungus.  I am

referring to the Churukian Microwave Ammoniacal Silver stain for fungus.

It oxidizes with Periodic Acid and the Silver solution is similar to

what is used for most Reticulum stains. It stains the exact same

organisms as a Grocott's Methenamine Silver (GMS), just without staining

the elastic fibers. Our pneumocystis stains using the Churukian

Ammoniacal Silver stain are just beautiful.

This method has been taught at NSH workshops and has been widely used in

published literature.  As soon as I can figure out how to post pictures,

I will send some pictures of a a pneumocystis control and an aspergillus

control stained with the Churukian method.

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)

Anatomic Pathology Supervisor

Holy Redeemer Hospital Laboratory

1648 Huntingdon Pike