[Histonet] RE: Should I leave histology world

Mayer,Toysha N TNMayer <@t> mdanderson.org
Thu Jun 5 08:21:59 CDT 2014

I agree with Tim.  Take a part-time job doing what you need to work on if possible.  When my embedding skills needed to be enhanced, I took a job embedding early mornings.  One time I took a job cutting for about 2 years, and that helped my speed.  I still am not the best cutter, but my speed increased and my errors decreased.
In your current lab, ask for help from other techs as to setting goals and meeting deadlines.  Make it a game, not to  be taking risks and possibly injuring yourself, but a little friendly competition could help.
My students compete with each other to see who can finish fastest, with the least amount of errors, and the winner doesn't do the dishes that next day.
Remember, this is your livelihood, so you need to find out how to increase your speed and not sacrifice quality.  You should set up a time daily to develop your technique and work on it.  Even if you have to switch duties to get this done, your manager should support you to keep you.  Find out what is slowing you down, is your station not set-up properly, do you not have all the tools needed, are the blocks embedded correctly, is the angle correct?  This can slow you down without you realizing it.  Create your own technique and make it great.  I never could line up sections side-by-side on slide for biopsies, so I just began to cut my ribbons longer and picked sections up in pairs.  It worked for me.
Anything helps!!
Good luck.
Sincerely,

Toysha N. Mayer, MBA, HT(ASCP)