[Histonet] CAP Question CYP.04300 Daily QC

Piche, Jessica jpiche <@t> wtbyhosp.org
Wed Jun 4 13:48:00 CDT 2014

Hi Everyone,

I am asking a question for our Cytology department about  CYP.04300 on the CAP checklist, in regards to daily QC.  It states the technical quality of the preparations should be checked daily and includes checking all stains for predicted staining characteristics each day of use. This check should include preparations performed in the lab such as cytospins, cell blocks, and liquid based automated preparations.

Is the question asking to document evidence of the technical quality of the stain or the technical quality in the preparation of the slide, ie smear, cytospin, etc? Or does it want both? Our cytology department uses several different protocols  and with several different slide preparations so they are wondering if they are supposed to run a control every day for every single type of slide prep or just every stain that is used?

We would be interested in knowing what everyone else does.

Thank you and have a great day!

Jessica Piche,HT(ASCP)
Waterbury Hospital

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments contain confidential information that is legally privileged. This information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. The authorized recipient of this information is prohibited from disclosing this information to any other party unless required to do so by law or regulation. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken in reliance on the contents of these documents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this information in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete these documents. Copyright (c) Waterbury Hospital