[Histonet] RE: Histonet Digest, Vol 127, Issue 2

Hugh Luk hlukey <@t> msn.com
Tue Jun 3 15:31:13 CDT 2014

Sylvia,

I per diem at a lab that has four Microm HM355 S microtomes (previous generation), and they work well; easy to get used to and dependable when serviced properly.  Your HM 325 appears to have a similar mechanism that served their needs for years.

The Thermo Finesse is also a decent machine.  Another lab had a ME (motorized) version.  Also easy to get used to and dependable.  My only concern was a short disposable knife holder without side guards, but I see that is not offered anymore.

Tanner has been around for awhile.  Have not experience their handiwork.  Ask for references if they cannot let you try one first.

Used?  I can't really recommend them as I got super-burned when I let an administrator buy used equipment.  Perhaps you can get someone dependable to vouch for the instrument plus a return policy.(?)

Lastly, my lab has several Sakura Accu-cut SRM 200s and Leica RM2255s.  Small labs with low volume and little $ will appreciate Sakura.   Leica models are most histotechs gold-standard but are pricier (deservedly so).

Service?  Also find out who can service your unit.  A local bio-technician is preferred.

My $0.02.  Hope something here is helpful.

Hugh
Hawaii