[Histonet] Control block validation requirements

Jan Shivers shive003 <@t> umn.edu
Tue Jul 15 15:29:47 CDT 2014

Denise,
When selecting infectious agent positive controls, I also select cases
which have been shown to be positive by other testing means (EM,
Bacteriology, Virology, PCR).

In addition, I run a cross-reactivity validation with my antibody on other
infectious agent positive control slides to make sure my antibody is
specific for the infectious agent and doesn't cross-react with other
viruses/bacteria, etc.  Results go into a table that is stored along with
the initial antibody validation/optimization logsheet(s).

When validating tissue antigens/tumor markers, I use the obvious normal
anatomic cell/tissue control for that antigen.  My anatomic pathologist
advisor signs off on the final optimization for all antibodies before the
IHC test can be put into public use.

Jan Shivers
Senior Scientist
IHC/Histology Section Head