[Histonet] RE: Cytokeratin AE1/AE3

Rathborne, Toni Toni.Rathborne <@t> rwjuh.edu
Thu Jul 10 15:49:13 CDT 2014

Would you share the source for the  sentinel lymph node recommendation mentioned? Although I just did a quick search, I didn't see anything on the CAP website.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Cartun, Richard
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2014 4:08 PM
To: Burnett, Brandy; 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: [Histonet] RE: Cytokeratin AE1/AE3

"Extra-follicular reticulm cells" contain cytokeratin and will label with antibodies to low molecular weight cytokeratin.  Could that be what you are seeing?

Reference:  Linden MD and Zarbo RJ:  Cytokeratin immunostaining patterns of benign, reactive lymph nodes:  applications for the evaluation of sentinel lymph node specimen.  Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 2001;9(4):297-301.

On another note,  the recommendation now is to not do CK IHC on sentinel lymph nodes (except for rare cases).  Lymph node involvement should be based on H&E; not IHC.

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, MS, PhD
Director, Histology & Immunopathology
Director, Biospecimen Collection Programs Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT  06102
(860) 972-1596 Office
(860) 545-2204 Fax