[Histonet] zebrafish embryos histology

koellingr <@t> comcast.net koellingr <@t> comcast.net
Wed Jan 22 12:14:00 CST 2014

Hi Patty,
You sort of piqued my curiosity of what is going on in the zebra fish world and found this youtube, 6 minute film  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZDwo20hl1E&feature=youtu.be
About what is going on at Welcome Trust Research on zebra fish but maybe you know all this already.  Anyway, I think the film is pretty neat with some incredible (not histology) but CONFOCAL slices through the fish.  We had success doing this by confocal on whole-mount but again when studying gene manipulation and cell signal distribution and wanting histology in embryo's, had better luck with GMA.  Paraffin as mentioned can certainly be done and  is certainly easier but we could never get the resolution or number of sections we desired using paraffin.  Maybe the people in lab from this film can give you some suggestions.

Ray, retired in Seattle

----- Original Message -----

From: koellingr <@t> comcast.net
To: "Patricia F Lott" <plott <@t> uab.edu>
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 8:02:24 AM
Subject: Re: [Histonet] zebrafish embryos histology

Patty,
did some zebrafish work years ago, either pure histology or sections after we did whole mount ISH on the embryo's.  As per Jack Ratliff's post, paraffin I found was really tough for orientation and for getting enough sections of such small embryo's.  But would use, as Jack suggested, JB-4 Plus and would get beautiful sections, many embryo's in a block and multiple sections per slide.  What I would do is under a dissecting scope would, with a VERY fine tool, push the multiple embryo's into an ordered row with similar orientation in the unpolymerized GMA block.  Polymerize.  If I wanted longitudinal sections, cut the block as is.  If we wanted cross-sections, just gross cut the polymerized block and put it in a second GMA block of unpolymerized GMA and stand it up so the embryo's were on end and polymerize .  Was every individual embryo correct?  No!  But enough were so got great H&E sections or also seeing the ISH probe revealed at the cellular level.

Ray, retired in Seattle