[Histonet] Cryostat

Hugh Luk hlukey <@t> msn.com
Fri Jan 17 16:07:00 CST 2014

Tanya and Madeline,

Jan Minshew of Leica sent a nicely detailed response to "Decontaminating" a cryostat in
January of 2010. She apparently wrote it to put in a Leica "How To" manual, although I did
not notice it in this form.  Everything she states is well documented, although I also
incorporate a known virucide and tuberculocidal product (following it's directions, naturally).

http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/pipermail/histonet/2010-January/048750.html

If you have a UV cryostat, use Leica's Cryofect product or follow Tim Morken's previous
(2000 histosearch)formaldehyde method, they should work for killing most bugs too(with the
exception of eradicating some prions like CJD/BSE).

If I am misunderstanding what you mean by "Decon" I apologize, as there is no reason why
you cannot clean up tissue debris in a cold cryostat with 100% alcohol.

Hugh
Hawaii

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:43:09 -0800 (PST)
From: Madeline Gi <madelinegi <@t> yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Cryostat
To: "Abbott, Tanya" <TanyaAbbott <@t> catholichealth.net>,
	"Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu"
	<Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>

I use to decon my cryostat with 100% Alco this keeps it from freezing up and it clean it.
best of luck.

Madeline Rotger Milanese H.T. BSHCS
500 New Hempstead Rd.
New City N.Y. 10965
845-362-3200 Ext 129
madelinegi <@t> yahoo.com

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:52 PM, "Abbott, Tanya" <TanyaAbbott <@t> catholichealth.net> wrote:

Need to decon my cryostat

Tanya G. Abbott RT (CSMLS)
Manager Technologist, Histology/Cytology
St. Joseph Medical Center
Reading, PA 19603-0316
ph  610-378-2635
fax 610-898-5871
email: tanyaabbott <@t> catholichealth.net

This electronic mail and any attached documents are intended solely for the named addressee(s)
and contain confidential information. If you are not an addressee, or responsible for delivering
this email to an addressee, you have received this email in error and are notified that reading,
copying, or disclosing this email is prohibited. If you received this email in error, immediately
reply to the sender and delete the message completely from your computer system.