[Histonet] Warthin Starry Help

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Jan 14 09:11:15 CST 2014

Although many histotechs successfully use the Warhin Starry stain (or so they say!) I find it the most unreliable and capricious of all stains, so much so that I stopped using it many years ago and started using the modified Steiner that stains H.pylory and all Treponema and related bacteria.
The only alleged drawback of the Steiner stain is obtaining uranyl nitrate and its low radioactivity. To eliminate that problem I substituted it with phosphotungstic solution. Under separate cover I am sending you my modified Steiner method with phosphotungstic acid.
Another thing, I commend you for preparing your own reagents. You belong to a "dying breed" of histotechs.
René J.

________________________________
From: "Campbell, Tasha M." <tmcampbell <@t> fmh.org>
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 9:55 AM
Subject: [Histonet] Warthin Starry Help

I need help with warthin starry stain please.  I am a very small lab
trying to save money so I want to make the reagents myself.  I have
sigma Aldrich dry reagents and have been making the reagents and
following the instructions correctly and I did get the stain to work
wonderfully when I first started.  Then suddenly it quit working and I
cannot get it to work again.  I have made fresh reagents day after day
and I have a pH of 3.8 for the acidulated water.  The tissue will stain
normally with the yellow to brown background and I the developing
solution turns black when it is left on paper but the h.pylori organisms
are not staining.  I am getting very frustrated and need some help
please.

Thank you.

Tasha Campbell, HTL

tmcampbell <@t> fmh.org