[Histonet] error rate for sectioning

Zerfas, Patricia (NIH/OD/ORS) [E] zerfasp <@t> ors.od.nih.gov
Sat Jan 11 15:24:52 CST 2014

Hi All,
What is the error rate set by you or your employer for paraffin sectioning?

These are slides that are found to be unacceptable due to wrinkling, folding etc either by a pathologist or another reviewer.

I was found to have 6 slides out of approx 1500 that I have sectioned to date to be unacceptable.  I only perform this duty when I have completed all of my other work so this is not one of my regular duties.   At times I have gone several months without sectioning and utilize a microtome that is approx. 26 years old.

Since this was brought to my attention I have been given more up to date equipment which I have yet to utilize.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Patricia Zerfas