FW: [Histonet] Troubleshooting Masson Trichrome Stain

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Tue Feb 11 14:02:00 CST 2014

Sorry forgot to reply all.

Anna

Do you make up your solutions fresh especially the PTA/PMA and aniline blue.  We don't run the microwave method we heat in an oven in bouins for 1 hour, but we make sure that the bouins is at 60C prior to us placing the slides in the solution.  We stain longer in the Biebrich scarlet  (20 minutes) we only use the PTA/PMA once and then about 2 minutes in the Aniline blue.  We found that it's important to use fresh reagents, we get the best consistency of staining with all over fresh reagents.  Since you are moving from the PTA/PMA right into the aniline blue, if you use the aniline blue over and over again the pH will change because you are carrying some PTA/PMA over on the slides, this will cause problems with the stain.  We are not like a clinical lab so we could staining up to 100 or so trichrome slides at a time so making sure we have fresh reagents is key for consistency for our samples.  Good Luck, one other thing the trichrome stain is one of the more difficult histology stains to run correctly.  A good way to tell if the stain has worked properly is to look at smaller vessels.  The smooth muscle of the smaller vessels should be red, and the connective tissue blue, frequently you will see the smooth muscle of the vessels stain a bit grey that's when you know that that stain has not worked.  The stain needs to be balanced with neither component overpowering the other.

Liz

Elizabeth A. Chlipala, BS, HTL(ASCP)QIHC Premier Laboratory, LLC PO Box 18592 Boulder, CO 80308
(303) 682-3949 office
(303) 682-9060 fax
(303) 881-0763 cell
liz <@t> premierlab.com
www.premierlab.com

March 10, 2014 is Histotechnology Professionals Day

Ship to Address:

Premier Laboratory, LLC
1567 Skyway Drive, Unit E
Longmont, CO 80504