[Histonet] human research samples

Richey, Lauren Lauren.Richey <@t> tufts.edu
Mon Feb 10 12:06:53 CST 2014

Hello Histonet,

We have a small research animal histology core lab. We do not undergo CAP accreditation. We have only accepted animal tissues with the exception of xenografts. Recently we have received a few requests to process and section deidentified human tissue classified by the IRB as tissue that "does not constitute human subject research." Our histologists are HT and HTL certified, have prior experience in a human clinical lab, and are skilled at sectioning the types of human tissues that are being requested.

I am a veterinary pathologist. My questions never having worked with human tissue before, and out of concern for following rules and proper safety practices:

-Is there a reason our lab should not accept human tissue for research after review by the IRB?

-Does having human tissue in the lab for research purposes have any additional regulatory issues (besides anything that might be covered by IRB or IBC review).

-We have always accepted animal tissues that contained xenografts from humans, whether from a cell line or from a primary tumor. Now, reconsidering a general policy on human tissue in the lab, is there any documentation or special handling/clean up that you recommend after receipt and sectioning of human tissues in a research lab? Should we ask to retain a copy of the IRB approval if a primary tumor xenograft is used in an animal and comes to us? And, although we treat all tissues as potentially biohazardous, are there any particular extra precautions to take, for example, after cryosectioning human tissue?

Thank you,
Lauren

Lauren Richey, DVM, PhD, Diplomate ACVP
Director, Tufts Comparative Pathology Services
Assistant Director, DLAM
Tufts University
Boston, MA 02111
617-636-6488