[Histonet] RE: Carpal Tunnel

Terri Braud tbraud <@t> holyredeemer.com
Thu Feb 6 13:08:38 CST 2014

I had bilateral carpal tunnel over 30 years ago, long before it was
recognized as a problem associated with Histotechnology.  I delayed
seeking help, not recognizing the problem for what it was.  When I
finally had surgery, I had sustained permanent nerve damage. So, don't
put off treatment!
Both of my hands were done as open (there was no laparoscopic available
way back then) and my recovery took 6wks before I could write my name,
or turn a microtome wheel.  It took a full 6 months before I was
completely back to normal flexibility and grip strength for all
activities including playing guitar and piano, grooming my own dog,
using a weedeater.  Holding items that vibrate (clippers, hairdryer)
seemed to be the worse and they caution you to avoid them until
completely healed. The good news is I've never had a problem since,
however, I can't make the #3 sign with my hand as I lost the ability to
touch thumb to little finger.
My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner!

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Holy Redeemer Hospital Laboratory
1648 Huntingdon Pike